Bago City is located in the Southern part of Negros Occidental, Philippines. It is classified as a second class city, 21.5 kilometers away from Bacolod City-the capital city of the Province. It has 24 barangays with a land area of 38,941 hectares. It is the main source of rice in Negros making it as the Rice Granary of the whole province.
During the Spanish tyranny, injustice and oppression the inhabitants of Bago led into revolt with this kind of social condition. On November 5, 1898, Juan Anacleto Araneta led his people to fight for their freedom an historical event that marks in the history of Bago City.
This historic event was chronicled in a historic marker found in the City public plaza of Bago which bears the following inscriptions:
Republica de Negros”
“In this plaza of Bago was proclaimed the
Republica de Negros by the Revolutionary
Forces led by general Juan Anacleto Araneta,
5 November, 1898. Witnessed by Anaias
Diokno, representative of the Central Revolutionary
Government. This Republic acknowledge
The authority of the First Philippine
Republic under Emilio Aguinaldo.”
Gen. Juan Anacleto Araneta, the lengendary hero who led his troops armed only with nipa stalks and rolled sawali mats painted black, in an attack leading to the historic bluff that resulted in the liberation of Negros from Spanish conquistadores in 1898.
Bago City’s History
“how the city came to life. . .”
On September 6, 1571 when the Spanish adelantado, Miguel López de Legaspi, allotted the community to a Spaniard named Juan Gutiérrez, as his “encomienda”. At that time the community was still composed of small cluster of settlements along the banks of a big river, which later became known as the Bago River. The “economiendero” administered to the spiritual and socio-economic needs of the natives in the settlements until June, 1578. However, in 1578, this community was placed under the evangelical visitations of Father Gerónimo Marin, an Augustinian priest who had taken charge of the Christianization of the natives of Binalbagan since the year 1572. Father Marin, upon his arrival in the community, celebrated the feast of St. John the Baptist, who would later be accepted as the patron saint. Following the traditions and practices of the Spanish missionaries and historians in recording the founding of a “pueblo” or town that usually coincides with the feast day of a saint and since the feast day of St. John the Baptist, falls on June 24 of each year, it follows therefore that Bago was founded so that the exact month and day can only be deduced from such traditional practices of the Spaniards. Manila, Cebu City and Binalbaganalso predicated the dates of their founding on the same historical situations, hence the logical conclusion is that Bago City was officially founded on the month, day and year heretofore mentioned.